June is a great time for gardening in the UK, as the weather is typically warm and sunny. Here are some tasks that can be done in the garden during June:
- Plant summer bedding plants: June is the perfect time to plant summer bedding plants such as petunias, marigolds, and geraniums.
- Deadhead flowers: Regularly deadhead your flowers to encourage new growth and prolong the blooming season.
- Water: With the warmer weather, make sure to water your plants regularly to prevent them from drying out. Water in the early morning or late evening to reduce evaporation.
- Harvest early crops: Harvest early crops such as lettuce, peas, and strawberries as they ripen.
- Prune spring-flowering shrubs: Prune spring-flowering shrubs such as lilacs and forsythia after they have finished blooming.
- Weed: Keep on top of weeding to prevent them from competing with your plants for nutrients and water.
- Feed plants: Feed your plants with a balanced fertilizer to encourage healthy growth and blooming.
- Control pests: Keep an eye out for pests such as aphids and slugs and take appropriate measures to control them.
By doing these tasks in June, you can help ensure a beautiful and productive garden throughout the summer months.