Here are some gardening tasks you can do in April
- Planting: April is a good time to plant a variety of vegetables and flowers. Vegetables such as lettuce, spinach, and peas can be sown directly into the ground, while tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers can be started indoors. Flowers such as marigolds, zinnias, and sunflowers can be started indoors or sown directly into the ground.
- Weeding: As the weather warms up, weeds will start to appear in the garden. It’s important to stay on top of weeding to prevent them from taking over. Hand-pull weeds or use a hoe to remove them from the soil.
- Pruning: April is a good time to prune shrubs and trees before they start to put on new growth. Prune dead or damaged branches and thin out any overcrowded areas to promote air circulation and healthy growth.
- Lawn care: As the weather warms up, lawns will start to grow again. Mow the lawn regularly, but be sure not to cut it too short. Aerate the lawn to improve soil drainage and fertilize to promote healthy growth.
- Pest control: Keep an eye out for pests such as aphids and caterpillars. Handpick them off plants or use an organic insecticide to control the infestation.
These are just a few examples of the many gardening tasks you can do in April in the UK. It’s important to check your garden regularly and take action as needed to ensure a healthy and productive growing season.